WTEN, WXXA and News10.com in Albany, New York (Market 60) is seeking an experienced News Director who is an innovative and dynamic leader, possessing excellent news judgment, strong digital news initiative, and a passion to win. We are seeking a leader with a proven track record of team, product, content and community growth leading to ratings growth.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production).
- Oversee daily and weekly news coverage from the state capitol to regional sister stations.
- Develops news coverage strategy for the station, website and mobile platforms.
- Critiques newscasts on a daily basis to correct errors, improve coverage, and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
- Ensures achievement of viewer ratings goals.
- Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
- Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
- Minimum ten years’ experience in a news leadership role, or comparable experience.
- Experience guiding, directing, and motivating co-workers, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
As the state capital of New York, this market has great local diversity with healthcare, education, and high tech all playing significant roles in the economy. Our community hosts and is surrounded by over 20 institutions of higher learning that range from renowned liberal arts colleges to the University of Albany. In addition, the market is an outdoors and sports enthusiasts dream come true. Nestled along the Hudson River and just 45 minutes south of scenic Lake George, Albany is only a couple hour drive to New York City, Boston, and Montreal. You would also join one of the fastest growing broadcast and digital companies, Nexstar Media Group, while leading the successful growth of a talented team of journalists. Interested candidates apply by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org and by completing our online application at www.nexstar.tv/careers.
WTEN, WXXA and Nexstar Broadcasting Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.