TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Local tenants and housing rights advocates rallied outside Troy City Court Thursday morning in an eviction defense protest.
They said New York’s current moratorium on evictions, extended through the end of September, doesn’t protect all property owners.
Citizen Action of New York says it’s unfair that, in Troy, tenants have to go to court to defend against eviction proceedings, as courts around the state are reopening and will process pre-pandemic filings.
There were about 30 landlord versus tenant proceedings on the Troy City Court calendar for Thursday.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
- $13B aid package to help Puerto Rico 3 years after Hurricane Maria took too long, Democrats say
- Fire chief: Rachael Ray house was burning by the time departments arrived
- Trump says ‘every American’ should have coronavirus vaccine by April 2021
- Breaking down the 100 case threshold for NY colleges