NEW YORK (AP) — A couple was taken from a New York City ferry in handcuffs after refusing the captain’s order to wear masks.
Police say officers were called to the pier in Brooklyn Bridge Park around 10 p.m. Saturday when a ferry captain reported disorderly people. The captain told officers the 53-year-old man and 37-year-old woman refused to get off the boat when they were told to leave for not wearing masks.
They were ticketed for disorderly conduct and violating an emergency measure.
The news site Gothamist reports that the pair claimed they have a constitutional right to ride mask-free because they have a medical condition that exempts them from the governor’s coronavirus protection order.
The ferry was delayed for more than an hour while the couple refused to mask up or disembark.
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander
- Buffalo Kickoff Live: 5 questions with Bills Owner/Team President Kim Pegula
- ”We got no stops” Jim Boeheim following loss at Pittsburgh
- Syracuse suffers third straight ACC loss falling at Pittsburgh
- Cuomo gives update on vaccine distribution across NYS