WATERFORD, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The Village of Waterford honored a beloved crossing guard on Wednesday.
Joseph Avarello, known affectionately by family and friends as “Papa Joe,” turned 90 years old. He is in his 29th year of serving as crossing guard for St. Mary’s School in Waterford. Avarello told NEWS10 ABC his favorite part of the job is watching the kids grow up.
“That’s what keeps you young,” he said. “It’s just the people. They’re so nice, you know?”
Avarello added that he will keep serving as crossing guard for as long as he can walk.
The village is renaming the southeast corner of Sixth and Division streets as “Papa Joe’s Corner.”
- Schenectady County coronavirus update
- Niskayuna man pleads guilty to stealing trade secrets from GE
- City of Troy launches campaign to encourage residents to wear a mask
- LIVE NOW: US coronavirus deaths surpass 100,000 as states continue reopening
- Albany County reports 11 private nursing home deaths in daily coronavirus briefing