WATERFORD, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The Village of Waterford honored a beloved crossing guard on Wednesday.
Joseph Avarello, known affectionately by family and friends as “Papa Joe,” turned 90 years old. He is in his 29th year of serving as crossing guard for St. Mary’s School in Waterford. Avarello told NEWS10 ABC his favorite part of the job is watching the kids grow up.
“That’s what keeps you young,” he said. “It’s just the people. They’re so nice, you know?”
Avarello added that he will keep serving as crossing guard for as long as he can walk.
The village is renaming the southeast corner of Sixth and Division streets as “Papa Joe’s Corner.”
- Teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- COVID-19 vaccine distribution update in Schenectady, Rensselaer Counties
- Hot Pockets recalled, they may contain hard plastic and glass
- Car fire follows shots fired incident in Albany
- Brown wins 400, UAlbany men’s basketball knocks off NJIT 83-75