Thunder fall short in OT thriller, 3-2

New Thunder Logo Use

PORTLAND, Maine– The Adirondack Thunder gained a point but fell in overtime to the Maine Mariners on Tuesday night in Portland by a final score of 3-2.

Both teams took a while to feel each other out to start off the game. The first goal of the game came with 2:31 left in the first period. Ted Hart picked up his fifth of the season after he banked it off the pad of Thunder goaltender Evan Cormier and gathered his own rebound.

The Mariners got the second goal of the middle frame after a turnover at the Thunder blueline. Alex Kile finished off a tic-tac-toe passing play to put the Mariners up 2-0. Adirondack responded as they went to the powerplay. Jake Linhart’s shot was redirected by Casey Pierro-Zabotel for his team-leading 10th goal of the season to cut the Maine lead to 2-1.

The Thunder had to kill three Maine powerplays in the third and found themselves on a 5-on-3 man-advantage with under five minutes to go. Mike Szmatula put the puck on net, hitting the crossbar and falling right onto the stick of Robbie Payne for the tying tally.

The teams would head to overtime for the second time in the last three games. The Mariners found the game-winner as Brenden Crawley found Dillan Fox on a back door re-direction to seal the extra point for the Mariners.

Evan Cormier made 34 saves on 37 shots as the Thunder went 2-for-3 on the man-advantage and killed all three Mariner powerplay chances.

The Thunder take on the Allen Americans on Friday night, December 13th at Cool Insuring Arena. Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local Sports

More Local Sports

Click Below to set up your cable box

No Neighbor Hungry Campaign

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak

Classroom Progress Report

More Classroom Progress Report

10 in Toga