The Latest: Spanish league hopes for fan return in February

Sports

FILE – In this Sunday, May 31, 2020, substitutes for Borussia Dortmund, wearing face masks to protect against coronavirus, look on from the stands during the German Bundesliga soccer match between SC Paderborn 07 and Borussia Dortmund at Benteler Arena in Paderborn, Germany. The German Bundesliga will keep five substitutions for the 2020-21 season because of the coronavirus pandemic. The 36 clubs in the top two German men’s soccer leagues voted at a German Football League meeting Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020 to continue the rule for next season. (Lars Baron/Pool via AP, file)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:

___

Spanish league president Javier Tebas says he expects fans back in the country’s soccer stadiums by next February if vaccine trials are successful.

Tebas says the decision on fans attending games ultimately belongs to local health authorities but it is not likely to happen before there is a vaccine in place.

The league had hoped to have fans back this season but Spain has been dealing with a surge in coronavirus cases recently.

Tebas spoke at an event in which the Spanish league launched its 90th season. The season will begin this weekend.

___

Manchester City players Riyad Mahrez and Aymeric Laporte have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The players have not displayed any symptoms and are in self-isolation.

City says “everyone at the club wishes Riyad and Aymeric a speedy recovery ahead of their return to training and the new season.”

City starts its season against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sept. 21 after being given the opening weekend off following its participation in the Champions League quarterfinals in August.

___

The Thai badminton federation says it has withdrawn from the Thomas and Uber Cups after high-profile players pulled out because of concerns regarding COVID-19.

The federation says the absences of former world champion Ratchanok Intanon, No. 3-ranked mixed doubles pair Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai and others meant the country couldn’t field a team in the Oct. 3-11 world teams event in Denmark.

Thailand badminton federation president Khunying Patama Leeswadtrakul says “player safety and health has always been our priority concern. We respect the players’ decision.”

The Badminton World Federation said last month the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals would go ahead in Aarhus, Denmark, despite an overhaul of the tournament calendar following the shuttering of international competition during the coronavirus pandemic.

The BWF said international participants would not be required to undergo quarantine upon arrival in Denmark provided they had a negative COVID-19 test and appropriate travel documents.

___

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sport Highlights

Local Sports

More Local Sports

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link
HOW TO MAKE NEWS10 YOUR HOMEPAGE_1280X720
CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP FEATURES

MEET THE NEWS10 SPORTS TEAM

Liana Bonavita

Michael Barth

Jared Phillips

Click Below to set up your cable box

Latest COVID-19 News

More COVID-19

Cuomo Under Fire News

More Cuomo Under Fire