MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Greenwich traveled to Middletown Friday looking to punch their ticket to the Class D State Championship. The #3 Witches took on the #5 Moriah Vikings in the state semifinal.
Greenwich took a 6-0 lead into the half after a Jesse Kuzmich touchdown pass to Deontae Bennett. The Vikings struck first in the second half, with Rowan Swan connecting with Bryce Sprague for a third quarter touchdown. Sprague then picked off Kuzmich, leading to a Caleb Harris rushing touchdown to give the Vikings a 14-6 lead.
The Witches drew even following a Jesse Kuzmich rushing touchdown, but the Vikings ultimately pulled away to win 28-14.
Head coach Brandon Linnett says while this loss is a tough one, it doesn’t take anything away from a special season. “It was a great season, 11-1, top 4 in the state, semifinals,” said Linnett. “That’s what we build traditions on. That’s how we keep it going.”
More Sports News
- Fans visit Kobe Bryant on anniversary of his death
- AP source: Broncos finalizing deal with Packers OC Hackett
- Barty to face Collins in bid to end Australian title drought
- Makar, Avs rally past Bruins 4-3 for 17th straight home win
- UAlbany wins overtime thriller, sweeps season series against UMass Lowell