LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Anthony Futia—the accused motorcyclist in a Lake George crash that killed a local man and his young stepson—will take his case to trial. He rejected the Warren County District Attorney’s offer of no more than 20 years to life in exchange for a guilty plea in court on Thursday.

Futia entered the Warren County courtroom in a wheelchair, and shackles to face the Honorable Robert Smith. During the Thursday morning appearance, the judge asked Futia if was prepared to accept Warren County District Attorney Jason Carusone’s offer of a plea deal in the fatal June 2022 crash where Futia is accused of being under the influence of alcohol and drugs and driving without a license when he allegedly lost control of a motorcycle on Route 9 in Lake George. The prosecution alleges Futia struck a group of six pedestrians, killing 38-year-old Jamie Persons and his 8-year-old stepson Quinton Delgadillo.

After the crash, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles confirmed to News10 that Anthony Futia had never possessed a valid driver’s license. However, that did not stop him from driving. The DMV confirming that the Albany man had multiple suspensions on his record, including in 2019 when he was charged with driving while impaired. 

Futia’s defense attorney Tucker Stanclift spoke for his client in court saying he was rejecting the 20 to life offer in the fatal crash. Stanclift stating that the main sticking point was that it came with a stipulation for a Persistent Felony Offender Hearing, which could give the judge broader discretion upon sentencing. “[The] persistent, felony, offender statute would allow a sentence of anywhere between 15 to life and 25 to life. The only concession The People made was that they would cap the request to be 20 to life.” Stanclift added that he is still open to more discussions with Carusone’s office. “We hope that this case finds a resolution,” the defense lawyer added.

Barring any other offers, the judge has scheduled a trial date for March 20th. Anthony Futia remains in custody at Mohawk Correctional Facility in Rome, New York where he is being treated for injuries resulting from the crash.