WOODSTOCK, Vt. (NEWS10) — The suspect in a fatal shooting that shook the town of Woodstock Tuesday was found dead late that night in a house downtown, according to police. Members of the Vermont State Police Tactical Services Unit found the body of Jay Wilson, 45, of Woodstock, while searching the house after 11 p.m. following hours of negotiations.

Police say Wilson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. When they entered the house, the tactical services unit heard a gunshot, according to a release from Vermont State Police.

Authorities believe Wilson shot and killed a man, who they said was his mom’s friend. The victim was identified as Dieter Seier, 67, Cornish, N.H. Both Seier’s and Wilsons’s bodies were brought to the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Burlington for autopsies.

The incident began around 1:20 p.m. Tuesday when Woodstock police responded to 13 Slayton Terrace for a reported shooting, according to state police. Sgt. Joseph Swanson was the first officer on scene. He found Seier dead in the driveway. Police said Wilson fired at Swanson, and the 15-year police veteran returned fire.

It is not clear whether or not the shooter was injured in the exchange. Sgt. Swanson was taken to the hospital for a graze wound on his arm. He was treated and released.

One of the officers saw Wilson in the doorway of the house, according to police. The first-responding officers then took cover and called for backup. Police set up a perimeter around the house, but they thought it was possible that Wilson had left the house before the additional officers arrived, leading to a shelter-in-place order.

Authorities had asked residents in the area to shelter in place for hours with their doors locked while they tried to find Wilson. Police had not confirmed whether Wilson had left the house until they searched it. No one else was found inside.

Police said Wilson fatally shot Seier during a family dispute involving Wilson and his mother. Seier accompanied Wilson’s mother to the home she owned on Slayton Terrace. Wilson lived at the home, and they were planning to meet him there to transfer ownership of a vehicle to him.

Wilson’s mother was able to reach a safe location and was not injured. Seier’s death was ruled a homicide after sustaining gunshot wounds to the torso. Wilson’s autopsy is expected to take place on Thursday.