SHEFFIELD, MA, (NEWS10) – Investigators have concluded a fire that killed two people in the town of Sheffield, Massachusetts on Wednesday morning was accidental. The bodies of 75-year-old James Boltrom and 66-year-old Dorene Boltrom were discovered after firefighters extinguished the blaze.
It was determined the fire was started by a failure of the chimney and a wood-burning furnace. Officials say the furnace had a significant amount of wood and kindling next to it.
The fire began in the chimney and spread to other nearby combustibles. Investigators were able to find several areas where smoke and heat breached the chimney and piping system from the furnace and entered the log cabin style home.
“On behalf of our firefighters and the town of Sheffield, I offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the victims. We’re all neighbors in this small town.
Sadly, there were no signs that this home had working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms provide the early warning needed when you may have less than three minutes to wake up and escape.”Sheffield Fire Chief David J. Ullrich
Caanan, Conn., Sheffield, Great Barrington, Egremont, and New Marlboro Fire Departments were among those who responded when neighbours reported the fire, which occurred shortly before 6 a.m. on Hewins Street.