Schoharie County summer campers treated for CO poisoning symptoms

Schoharie County

STAMFORD, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Troop G of the New York State Police confirmed to NEWS10 that several participants in a local summer camp program are being treated for symptoms linked to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

At about 8:12 a.m., a caller reported to Delaware County 911 that six people were in and out of consciousness with possible carbon monoxide poisoning Camp Oorah Boys Zone. Authorities dispatched six ambulances, and first responders on the scene requested more resources once they identified that more affected campers and staff were affected.

Police say that, all told, 53 campers and staff from the Zone were affected. All were reportedly transported to area hospitals—AO Fox, Cobleskill Regional, Margaretville, Mary Imogene Bassett, and O’Connor—either by ambulance or by the camp vehicles.

So far, no cause for the carbon monoxide exposure has been released.

The individuals in question are all male, ranging in age from 18 to 21. They apparently were in or near a building that was reportedly tested for CO, with the highest reading at 330 parts per million. According to the government agency OSHA, the personal exposure limit for CO is 50 parts per million.

Stanford Fire Department and Schoharie Police responded to the scene along with several other agencies, including code enforcement, New York State Police, and the Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office. According to Jefferson Volunteer Fire Department Chief McKay McMullen indicated Thursday morning that the building must be inspected before campers could return.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Latest PODCAST episode

More PODCAST: On the Story with Trishna Begam

Click Below to set up your cable box


Latest COVID-19 News

More COVID-19

Cuomo Under Fire News

More Cuomo Under Fire