HALFMOON, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Saratoga County’s new southern extension of the Zim Smith Trail extends from Halfmoon to Mechanicville, interconnecting the large local trail network.
The county is celebrating the grand opening of the new section trail, which also includes updated facilities. The newly paved section of the trail is about three miles long, extending from Coons Crossing east to the Champlain Canalway Trail in Mechanicville.
“This new section of the Zim Smith Trail will provide even more opportunities for residents from around the region to safely enjoy the outdoors. It’s a beautiful place for a walk, run or bike ride, and it’s another great example of why Saratoga County is a wonderful place to live.”Chairman Preston Allen
Saratoga County Board of Supervisors
The cost of the trail construction was approximately $5.54 million, with $4.9 million in funding provided by NYSDOT and the federal government.
At 10 a.m. on Wednesday at the intersection of Ushers Road, Cary Road, and Coons Crossing Road several local officials were on hand for the grand opening:
- Kevin Tollisen, Town of Halfmoon Supervisor
- Preston Allen, Saratoga County Board of Supervisors Chairman
- Jason Kemper, Saratoga County Director of Planning
- Jack Lawler, Saratoga County Economic Development Chairman
- Tom Richardson, Saratoga County Trails Committee Chairman