NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department said Sunday it has suspended an officer without pay a day after he was seen on video saying “Trump 2020” over a patrol vehicle’s loudspeaker, a violation of department rules.
Commissioner Dermot Shea tweeted Sunday that the officer’s behavior was “One hundred percent unacceptable. Period.” He said officers must remain apolitical.
WARNING: Video contains profanity
Mayor Bill de Blasio also promised swift action, writing in a tweet that an officer “pushing ANY political agenda while on duty will face consequences.”
A message seeking comment was left with the union representing patrol officers.
Videos posted on social media captured the officer bellowing his support of President Donald Trump from a marked police department SUV just before 10 p.m. Saturday.
More From Your Local Election Headquarters
- Multiple dog tags among odd items found in 445-pound gator’s stomach
- Off-duty Pentagon officer charged with second-degree murder after 2 killed in Takoma Park shooting
- Sheriff: Camper missing since Tuesday dies, wife rescued in Death Valley National Park
- ‘I’ll walk if you walk’: Story behind Prince Philip walking with Harry, William at Princess Diana’s funeral
- Pfizer, BioNTech ask FDA to approve use of vaccine in children ages 12 to 15