TURNERS FALLS, Mass. (WWLP) — The Turners Falls Fire Department is reminding residents that sky lanterns are illegal in Massachusetts.
Crews on detail at the Great Falls Harvest Fest Saturday night when they noticed a sky lantern was seen taking flight from the direction of Seventh Street. The sky lantern then came down quickly on top of a four story apartment building. The fire department investigated the incident as the lantern could have started a fire from the debris and leaves on the roof of the building.
The sky lantern was located and no damage was reported. According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, a memorandum from January 2015 prohibits the use of sky lanterns except by permit.
- Children can slash risk of having asthma in half by eating more oily fish
- Saint Rose comes back to upend Concord in overtime of NCAA quarters
- Oxford shooting: School should have flagged student’s concerning behavior, expert says
- Best personalized gifts for new parents
- You better watch out: 1 in 4 think they belong on the ‘naughty list’ this year