BALLSTON SPA, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Four male students are now being charged in an incident that put the entire Ballston Spa School District on lockdown Tuesday morning.
One of those students posted a threat on social media and the others are being charged for possessing a weapon.
Parents gathered at the Ballston Spa School District Bus Garage Tuesday morning fearing the worst after finding out the whole district had been placed on lockdown.
Jennifer Moore has three daughters in the school system here and says she didn’t find out about the lockdown until a friend called her.
“At this point, I’m thinking there’s somebody in the school with a gun.”
She signs up for alerts from the school but didn’t receive anything until the lockdown was lifted.
“I did not receive any email or anything.”
Superintendent Joe Dragone says all protocols were followed within the school.
“Regular protocol is to make sure the safety of students and staff comes first at all times.”
The threat came from a post on Instagram overnight and Tuesday morning school administrators found a blank handgun brought to school by a student and turned the weapon over to the sheriff’s department.
“They considered the threat to be serious they immediately put the school on lockdown.”
Sheriff Michael Zurlo says the school followed all their training procedures.
“They are training students and staff teachers about active shooter protocol.”
“To be able to do that that’s why we practice these things to ensure the safety of all of our students and all of our staff.”
Moore says she’s thankful for the quick action taken by the school and the sheriff’s department but feels parents should have been notified of the situation much sooner.
“My concern is that we did not know about this. We as parents deserve to know what’s going on.”
The school says it is their protocol to focus on securing the schools in this type of situation before sending out any notifications.
The lockdown was lifted around 10 a.m. and the school day and after-school activities went on as normal.