BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — On Thursday morning, a vehicle crashed into the monument at Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo.
Just before 7:30 a.m., police say the black minivan was moving south on Delaware Ave. “at an extremely high rate of speed” before it crashed into the monument. Marble barriers were knocked down.
The male driver is in critical condition at ECMC, but the female passenger was pronounced dead at the scene.
Buffalo Police Captain Jeff Rinaldo says this is a first for him. A criminal investigation is ongoing, and officers are looking for any eyewitnesses who may have seen the vehicle before it crashed.
Rinaldo says police will be on scene for “many hours,” so people are being asked to avoid the area.
- Fountain of youth: 37-year-old becomes oldest Olympic weightlifting champ
- Bills OL Cody Ford opens up about taking care of his mental health recovering from a season-ending knee injury in 2020
- Bills CB Levi Wallace is once again embracing the competition as he has year after year
- Fans get the chance to see the Bills in action at training camp Saturday
- Moss Feeling Strong, Continues Solid Camp