LATHAM, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Angry and concerned parents are firing back after learning the Kellogg Company will add peanut flour to its crackers.
Peanut flour will be added to some Kellogg’s snacks beginning in May. Peter Fil’s 5-year-old son has a peanut allergy.
“It seems very selfish for them to do something like that and parents have a right to be angry,” he said.
Because of the allergy, vegetables are a big part of Fil’s son’s diet. But now with peanut flour being added to Kellogg’s snacks, Fil said packing his son’s lunch will be even more difficult.
“Now, it’s going to be one of those things where we have to really pay attention to what snacks we’re giving to the kids,” Fil said.
As a family who has bought Kellogg’s crackers, Fil said the company’s decision makes him uncomfortable.
“Especially with ongoing research in these times where many more children are having peanut allergies and other allergy issues, to take that step just doesn’t make sense,” he said.
The number of children being diagnosed with peanut allergies is on the rise, according to pediatrician Dr. Michael Looney.
“I find that one of the major problems is going to be that many rely on certain products they feel are safe, and they bring them and it’s no longer safe,” he said.
“It seems very selfish,” Fil said. “Parents have a right to get angry.”
Kellogg said any of its products that contain the peanut flour will be clearly labeled.
The peanut flour will be added to Keebler and Austin cheese sandwich crackers.
– Keebler Club & Cheddar Sandwich Crackers
– Keebler Cheese & Cheddar Sandwich Crackers
– Keebler Pepper Jack Sandwich Crackers
– Keebler Variety Pack Sandwich Crackers
– Austin Cheddar Cheese Cracker Sandwiches
– Austin Grilled Cheese Cracker Sandwiches
– Austin Pepper Jack Cracker Sandwiches
– Austin Variety Pack Cracker SandwichesA petition has also been started calling on Kellogg to not add peanut flour to its products.