NEW YORK (AP) — One man was fatally shot and two others were wounded at a Queens hotel early Friday, marking New York City’s first reported homicide of 2021, police said.
Police responded to a 911 call just after 1 a.m. and found the victims outside the Umbrella Hotel in Kew Gardens. Two 20-year-old men and one 40-year-old man were taken to hospitals with gunshot wounds, police said.
One of the 20-year-olds was pronounced dead. His name was not immediately released. The 40-year-old victim was in critical condition and the second 20-year-old was in stable condition, police said. Police have made no arrests.
Neighborhood residents have campaigned for the shutdown of the hotel, which has been the scene of shootings in the past.
“Being I’ve heard of other incidents there, I’m not surprised this happened,” area resident Richard Rogers, 52, told the New York Post. “It was just a matter of time before someone got killed.”
An email seeking comment was sent to hotel representatives.
- Saint Rose offering COVID vaccinations to general public
- Opposition mounts to proposed updates for Vermont ‘bottle bill’
- NY Philharmonic gives 1st concert with audience in 13 months
- Get a taste of the Great New York State Fair starting Thursday
- Speech therapist: Too much tech at an early age can lead to late talking, misdiagnosis of autism