NEW YORK (WWTI) — Massachusetts has been ranked the top state to raise a family in 2021. The recent study conducted by WalletHub, 2021’s Best & Worst States to Raise a Family, also determined that New York ranked fourth nationwide.
The study compared 50 states across key indicators of family-friendliness including median annual family income, housing affordability, and the unemployment rate. According to the study, Vermont was ranked the fifth-best state, and New Mexico was ranked the worst state for raising a family in the U.S.
Specific findings for New York State included the following:
- Second highest for “family fun’
- Fifth-highest for affordability
- Fifth-lowest share of uninsured children
- Sixth-highest for education and child care
- Sixth-lowest for property crimes per capita
- Seventh-lowest infant mortality rate
However, New York also ranked poorly in the following indicators.
- Lowest median family income nationwide
- Fourth most violent crimes per capita
For full findings from the study, visit the WalletHub website.
- WATCH: Gov. Cuomo presents 2022 executive budget
- From Wilmington to Washington: Biden heads to DC after Delaware send-off
- NYSUT seeking federal waiver to lift standardized, regents testing requirements for 2020-21 school year
- New ‘Gigafactory’ coming to Henrietta will create over 300 jobs
- Police arrest Amsterdam woman for alleged involvement in stabbing incident