ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – New York State Office for the Aging (NYSOFA), in collaboration with state agencies and other partners, created a series of videos on how to complete and submit applications for benefits as an older New Yorker and other eligible individuals.
The department says many New Yorkers are eligible for a variety of federal, state and local benefits that can “put cash in their pockets, help pay for prescriptions, food and heat, have their taxes reduced, and help pay for their care.”
These benefits are paid for with tax dollars by the same individuals who need them. However, the Office says many are either unaware of these benefits, reluctant to apply for them, or need assistance in understanding and filling out applications.
Video tutorials will be added on an ongoing basis. Below is a list of the videos and applications they cover:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC)
- Senior Citizen Homeowners Exemption (SCHE) and Disabled Homeowners Exemption (DRE)
- NY School Tax Relief (STAR) Program
- Medicare Part-B
- Medicare Savings Program (MSP)
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- EmPower NY
- Extra Help (assistance in paying for Medicare prescription drug program costs, like premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance)