(AP) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo is proposing to allow counties to opt into regional lockups instead of solely operating their own facility.
It comes as jail populations continue to plummet across the state.
The legislation from Gov. Cuomo is one in a long list of policy proposals included within his state budget proposal, on which lawmakers continue to hold hearings this week.
The governor’s office says the legislation will allow counties to lower costs by not maintaining their own separate facility.
- Residents come for answers at town hall on Jenkinsville water problems
- Council looks to amend bill to ban tear gas
- Bars and restaurants can stay open until the clock strikes midnight
- Former Vice President Walter Mondale dies at 93
- Upstate NY couple IDs mystery litterer they say left cups on their lawn for 3 years