NEW YORK (PIX11) — Mayor Bill de Blasio has vowed to take extreme measures to address the crisis that continues to plague Rikers Island. Meanwhile, some of New York’s congressional leaders are demanding something even more extreme: removing all inmates and shutting it down immediately.
Jan Ransom has been following the Rikers story closely as an investigative reporter for the New York Times. She shared her perspective on this life and death situation and what needs to be done.
More from NEWS10:
- Fatal motor vehicle crash in Warren County
- After ‘Rust’ shooting, a look back at other fatal on-set accidents
- Albany County COVID update, October 23, reports 66 percent fully vaccinated residents
- Fulton County Sheriff’s Office asking for help-seeking fugitives
- Police investigate social media threats to Schenectady Middle School