ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WWTI) — A large number of counterfeit designer watches were seized by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the Rochester Airport Port of Entry.
They seized designer timepieces after officers inspected a shipment invoiced as “used quartz wristwatches,” according to CBP.
Officers thoroughly examined the merchandise and watches and determined them to be counterfeit. On August 15, the watches were seized for intellectual property rights violations. CBP reported that the items had a total suggested retail value of about $2.8 million.
“Our officers continue to do an amazing job targeting shipments and identifying these violations,” Rochester Port Director Ronald Menz said in a press release. “CBP plays a vital role in protecting consumers and businesses from imported fraudulent items.”
This shipment was first identified at the Rochester Airport Port of Entry in July.
More from NEWS10
- Section of Lancaster St closed in Albany
- US to loosen foreign travel restrictions, require vaccines
- Newsfeed Now: Body found in Wyoming believed to be Gabby Petito; Traffic flagger brings smiles to people stuck in jam
- LIVE: FBI, police swarm Brian Laundrie’s family home to execute search warrant related to Gabby Petito investigation
- Galway students back in-person after COVID forced a remote learning week