NEW YORK (PIX11) — This September will mark 20 years since the September 11 terror attacks. To honor New York firefighters who lost their lives, 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs are happening all across the country.
Participants will retrace the heroic steps of fallen firefighters, climbing up and down stairs until they reach 110 stories or 2,200 steps, which is equivalent to the 110 stories of the World Trade Center.
Chief Ron Siarnicki, Executive Director of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation, discussed the event’s history, how it has grown over the years and what it means to the firefighting community.
More from NEWS10
- ‘Scared to death’ Vermont advocates rally for emergency housing
- 11 state landmarks to be lit purple, blue, red, and pink for annual #BeKind21 Campaign
- How do New York parents feel about the 2021-2022 school year?
- Where different religions stand on COVID vaccination exemptions
- RetailMeNot reveals top shopping trends for 2021 holiday season