The new law will create a pathway of eligibility for state veterans’ benefits for those who were dishonorably discharged because of their LGBTQ status, military sexual trauma, traumatic brain injury, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
The state division of veterans services started accepting applications from the potential eligible veterans back in June. A decision on the applications is expected to be made by Thursday.
NY Sen. Brad Hoylman said:
“If you serve our country, our country should take care of you — period.”
Hoylman also said the law is a step to reverse the Trump Administration’s actions to bar transgendered Americans from joining the military service.
- Taron Johnson makes ‘franchise altering play’ as Bills punch their ticket to AFC Championship game
- Siena breaks record with 16th straight win
- Betty White marks 99th birthday Sunday; up late as she wants
- Teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- COVID-19 vaccine distribution update in Schenectady, Rensselaer Counties