TURIN, N.Y. (WWTI) — A young boy was killed over the weekend following an agricultural accident in Lewis County.
According to the Lewis County Sheriff’s Department, on Sunday, an individual was operating a skid steer while attempting to unload a large bale of hay. While backing, the operator reportedly failed to see a 5-year-old boy approaching the machine from the rear. The tractor then hit the boy with the rear tire.
Sheriff’s Deputies confirmed that the operator immediately exited the machine, contacted 911, and rendered medical aid.
The five-year-old was transported by Turin Ambulance with the assistance of Lewis County Search and Rescue to Lewis County General Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries. Names of both the operator and the victim are being withheld until deputies are able to notify the next of kin.
Deputies were assisted at the scene by the Turin Fire Department, Constableville Ambulance, and the New York State Police. The investigation remains ongoing.
- Scientists develop a new strategy to fight coronaviruses, vaccinate against future pandemics
- Former Horseheads Red Lobster GM sues company for race & sex discrimination
- 10/17/21: Cool & Breezy for Monday
- Albany County coronavirus update, October 17, Sunday
- 1 in 3 men would give up watching football to get rid of their belly fat