(CNN) — The NFL plans to play the Black National Anthem before every game in week one of the football season. That is according to a source familiar with the League’s discussions.
The source says, “Lift Every Voice and Sing” will be played before “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
It starts with the nationally televised first game of the season on September 10.
It will also be played during the full slate of those week one Sunday afternoon games, during Sunday Night Football and during the two ESPN Monday night games.
“Lift Every Voice and Sing” was first performed in 1900 by a choir at the segregated Stanton School in Jacksonville, Florida — as part of a celebration of Abraham Lincoln’s birthday.
- Albany Academy center Riley Mulvey transferring to St. Thomas More
- Athletics close out ICBL season with win over Mohawks
- Department of Labor issues Lost Wages Assistance Program guidance
- Pilot program offers residents $500 a month for five years
- NY appeals judge’s decision on limit of wedding attendees