PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Authorities in Maine say the woman killed in a rare shark attack off the state’s coast was a 63-year-old resident of New York City.
The Maine Department of Marine Resources says the shark bite killed Julie Dimperio Holowach off Bailey Island on Monday while she was swimming.
The marine patrol said a witness saw Holowach swimming off the shore of Bailey Island on Monday when she was injured in what appeared to be a shark attack. Two kayakers then helped her get to shore, and an ambulance provided further assistance, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
An unprovoked shark attack in Maine is a rare occurrence that has only been recorded once before.
- Trump announces ‘Born Alive’ executive order
- WATCH: Head Coach Joe Judge Media Availability 9/23
- Andy Gresh and Yianni Kourakis break down the Patriots and Raiders game
- Tents make up social distancing essentials, but industry leader says businesses still struggle
- Local author looks back at nation’s deportation policy