LANDOVER, Md. (NEWS10) — The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) released its annual Spring Allergy Capitals report.
The report ranks the 100 largest cities in the United States that is designed to help patients recognize, prevent, and manage allergy symptoms.
Mobile users click here to view the map.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies every year. AAFA says that seasonal allergies in the spring are mostly caused by tree pollen.
Ways to protect yourself from pollen
- Limit outdoor activities
- Keep windows closed
- Use central air conditioning with HEPA air filtration
- Wear sunglasses when outdoors
- Wear a hat to cover your hair
- Take a shower and shampoo hair before going to bed
- Change and wash clothes after outdoor activities
- Dry laundry in a clothes dryer, not on an outdoor line
- Limit contact with pets that spend time outdoors
- Wipe pets off with a towel before they enter your home
- Remove your shoes before entering your home
- Wash bedding in hot, soapy water once a week
- Use a nasal rinse to flush out inhaled pollen
- Use a CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® air cleaner (portable or whole house) or HVAC air filter
There are also options available to prevent or treat allergy symptoms:
- Allergy medicines – some work best if taken before allergy season begins
- Immunotherapy – shots or tablets available as a long-term treatment. It can help prevent or reduce the severity of reactions
Talk with your doctor before allergy season begins to discuss which treatment is right for you.