WASHINGTON (NEWS10) — A blood purification system to treat coronavirus patients has federal approval.
The Food and Drug Administration issued the emergency order on Friday.
The system takes a patient’s blood, filters it to reduce inflammatory substances, then returns the filtered blood back to the patient. It can be used to treat adults with COVID-19, who are hospitalized in the ICU with respiratory failure.
The FDA said the approval will expedite the availability of the treatment to coronavirus patients.
- Albany mayor signs agreement for Skyway construction
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- Cindy McCain endorses Biden for president in rebuke of Trump
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee