RIDGEFIELD,Conn. (WTNH) - It was a Saturday morning when families were gathered at the baseball field at Ridgefield High School.
When the fire started burning, someone left the field and ran across the street to the police department.
"It had rained the night before there was a scheduled baseball game," explained Captain Shawn Platt.
Someone thought it would be a good idea to warm the field in time for Ridgefield and Amity Regional to play ball.
Video was shot by a teacher showing the moment after 24 gallons of gasoline were poured on the infield and set on fire.
But whose idea was it?
"We're not sure. It's an active investigation of who instructed, if anybody instructed," Capt. Platt said.
Authorities were notified immediately, and the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection's hazmat group was called.
Gasoline-soaked soil had to be tested and removed. It's a process that will cost the town thousands of dollars.
Police haven't said whether anyone will be facing charges. They do hope to wrap up their investigation this week.
Neighbors are wondering why it happened in the first place.
"By now, everybody knows you don't pour gasoline on the soil. You think everybody knows," Phil from Ridgefield said.
Even those who can understand the pressure of getting the field ready in time still have concerns.
"I get it to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, the decision was not well thought out," Evan Schreiber of New York said.
Officials said the field will be closed for the remainder of the week as they do soil testing.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Uber rolls out feature urging riders to ‘check your ride'
- Hudson community remembers former high school student
- Pastor opens healthy diner in Queensbury church
- Biden expected to launch presidential campaign next week