(WXIN) – Will the self-serve soda machine and its convenient, unlimited refills become a relic of the past, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic?
For the time being, McDonald’s will scrap customer-operated soda fountains because of concerns about keeping customers safe.
The Wall Street Journal obtained a 59-page memo that says, “beverage bars will remain closed or sectioned off and staffed in restaurants” as part of new procedures for reopening.
The change applies to 14,000 McDonald’s locations around the U.S.
The memo notes that the beverage machines are difficult to clean. One franchise owner quoted by the newspaper said he would rather shut the machine down than deal with the hassle.
Yahoo Finance reports that McDonald’s plans to make 50 changes in its processes to ensure social distancing and stronger hygienic measures. Other changes include keeping play areas closed, using contactless payments, adding protective panels on counters and drive-thru, and putting up signs encouraging social distancing.
- Washington DC ramps up security ahead of Biden inauguration
- Border wall disturbs peace at centuries-old cemetery in South Texas, descendant says
- Suspicious death investigation underway in Bath, individual being interviewed by State Police
- Feeling lucky? Lottery players have chance at 2 giant jackpots
- Dog rescued after falling through ice