EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI/WWLP) — U.S. Senate rivals Ed Markey and Joe Kennedy III will square off in a live televised debate Monday, June 8 hosted by WPRI 12 and Gannett’s Massachusetts publications.
The debate is the only one between the pair scheduled to be held in Southern New England, and it will be moderated by Target 12 Investigator Tim White, WPRI 12 politics editor Ted Nesi and Taunton Daily Gazette/Enterprise of Brockton regional city editor Rebecca Hyman.
The debate was originally slated to be held at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, but the location has been moved to our sister station, WPRI 12’s broadcast studios due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Markey, who was first elected to the Senate in 2013 after decades in the House, is facing a Democratic primary challenge from Kennedy, who has represented the 4th Congressional District since 2012. Polls have consistently shown a close contest between the pair.
Both campaigns have indicated Southeastern Massachusetts could be a key battleground in the Sept. 1 Senate primary.
The debate will also air live on WWLP (NBC) and The CW Springfield, as well as Nexstar Broadcasting’s other stations in the region: WTEN-TV (ABC) in Albany, and WPRI 12 (CBS) in Providence. Viewers will also be able to live stream the debate on the stations’ websites.
More local election coverage: Your Local Election Headquarters
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- 1/16/2021: Unsettled and Windy for Sunday
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander
- Buffalo Kickoff Live: 5 questions with Bills Owner/Team President Kim Pegula
- ”We got no stops” Jim Boeheim following loss at Pittsburgh