ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Electronic smoking devices are becoming popular with Millennials and some say it’s a healthier alternative to smoking.
One man is sharing his story about kicking the habit after a vaporizer he was using exploded.
Kenneth Barbero used vaporizers socially. In fact, one of the devices he had in his mouth exploded without warning, knocking him to the ground.
“Like a M80 bomb went off in my mouth,” Kenneth said. “When I hit the button, I saw a huge yellow light. The next thing I know, I’m on the floor and my arms are paralyzed.”
Kenneth was home alone and was afraid he was going to burn alive.
According to Kenneth’s mom, the vaporizer’s battery exploded.
Kenneth is now recovering at the hospital with burned hands, knocked out teeth, and his tongue that’s been split because of the blow back. He is showing his injuries so people know what could happen.
“When it blows up in your face, you’re not having a good time,” Kenneth said.
The vape shop NEWS10 ABC visited showed us the packing the devices and batteries come in. Although there’s no warning on batteries, the employees say they try to educate everyone who walks through the doors.
Kenneth says he doesn’t plan on returning to his hobby.
“Look at my story and really think about the next time they hit the vape.”