PITTSFIELD, Mass. (NEWS10) — The Chief medical examiners office has identified 55-year-old Stephen Dus as the man who was found dead in Silver Lake. The investigation in the cause of death is ongoing.
At 2:45 p.m. Monday afternoon the Pittsfield Pittsfield Fire Department responded to Silver Lake for a water rescue.
Two young fishermen said they heard a swimmer in distress but could not locate him.
The swimmer had just gone past the young fishermen when he disappeared around the corner from their fishing spot, they said. The fishermen then heard the swimmer yelling for help and called 911.
The swimmer was eventually found at around 9:00 p.m. He was removed from the water.
Police is investigating the incident. Anyone with any information is asked to call (413) 448-9700.
In addition to the Pittsfield Police Department, the Pittsfield Fire Department placed three rescue swimmers and our watercraft Marine 1 in the water at the vicinity where the boys heard the calls for help.
The incident was expanded with the following agencies responding and assisting throughout the duration:
- Pittsfield Police Department
- Action Ambulance
- Berkshire County
- The Sheriff’s Department and their Dive Team
- Stockbridge Fire Department
- Lanesboro Fire Department
- Hinsdale Fire Department
- MA Department of Fire Services
- MA Environmental Police
- MA State Police Dive Team
- Rensselaer County coronavirus update March 5
- Senate Democrats reach deal on jobless benefits, allowing $1.9T COVID relief bill to move ahead
- Only 1 child died of flu this season – down from nearly 200
- Statewide COVID-19 positivity rate just over 3%
- Record-high 183K vaccines doses distributed in NYS on Thursday