Man dies of brain-eating amoeba after park swim

News

HOPE MILLS, N.C. (CNN) – The death of a North Carolina man is being blamed on an amoeba that went up his nose, causing a fatal brain infection.

Eddie Gray became sick after swimming at a water park in Hope Mills on Monday.

Scientists say the amoeba destroys brain tissue and causes brain swelling.

Health officials say it naturally presents in warm water and does not pose a risk if swallowed.

There are some things you can do to protect yourself.

“To use nose clips or nose plugs if you are going to be plunging if you will into water. Pinch your nose, if you go under. Those are the types of precautions that one can implement,” Duane Holder, Interim Director of the Cumberland County Health Department, said.

Health officials also say to avoid digging in or stirring up the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link
VACCINATION SITES_02-18-21_WEB BUTTOn_2

Set NEWS10.com as your Homepage!

HOW TO MAKE NEWS10 YOUR HOMEPAGE_1280X720

Click Below to set up your cable box

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak

Classroom Progress Report

More Classroom Progress Report