Man charged in murder of WWI vet missing since 1976

News

NEW YORK (WPIX/AP) – On Wednesday, Martin Motta, 74, of Queens, was arraigned on a murder in connection with the death of a World War I veteran. Police say, George Seitz, disappeared almost 45 years ago in New York City. Seitz’s remains were later discovered in 2019.

According to police Motta was arrested Wednesday morning at his Jamaica, Queens home on murder charges. Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said Motta faces 25 years to life in prison if he is convicted of the death of George Seitz.

“After 45 years, the alleged killer of a WWI Veteran is being held accountable and brought to justice,” Katz said in a statement. “We hope the identification of the remains and the indictment, in this case, will begin to bring peace and closure to his loved ones.”

Officials said the veteran’s remains were found in March 2019, buried under concrete in the backyard of a Richmond Hill home. The body had been dismembered at the neck, shoulders, and hips, authorities said.

However, it wasn’t until earlier this year that the remains were positively identified as Seitz.

The veteran was 81 when he was last seen leaving his Jamaica home in December 1976, reportedly on his way to get a haircut, according to officials.

Motta’s attorney, Russell Rothberg, declined to comment on Wednesday.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Latest PODCAST episode

More PODCAST: On the Story with Trishna Begam
CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP FEATURES

Latest COVID-19 News

More COVID-19