WATERVLIET, N.Y. (NEWS10) — A community gun buyback event will be held October 9 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Watervliet Dome. The event is being held in conjunction with the New York State Attorney General’s Office and in partnership with Cohoes, Menands, Green Island and Colonie Police Departments.
The event is open to the public in an effort to reduce the number of firearms in local communities. No questions will be asked surrounding the details and possession of the firearms.
Those who turn in firearms will recieve:
|Type of weapon||Amount of gift card|
|Rifle or shotgun||$75|
|Non-working or antique guns||$25|
Police are asking the public to pack unloaded guns in a box, plastic or paper bag and transport them in the truck of your vehicle. Authorized gun dealers and retired law enforcement officers are not eligible for the program.
More from NEWS10:
- TikTok, Snapchat and YouTube questioned by US lawmakers about child safety
- Brian Laundrie remains: No DNA analysis performed yet, medical examiner says
- Florida man saves drowning manatee after it ate ‘toxic red tide seagrass’
- Yes, Alexa is recording you. Here’s how to delete recordings from your Amazon Echo
- Ballston Spa mayor announces resignation during village board meeting