Woman hospitalized after early morning house fire in Johnstown

Local

One woman has been hospitalized after a house fire on South Melcher Street in Johnstown Wednesday morning.

Officials say the fire began around 5:00 AM. When crews arrived the home was already seriously ablaze. Crews fought the stubborn fire for hours Wednesday morning.

Fire investigators believe the blaze began in a kerosene heater, which the homeowner attempted to extinguish themselves before calling 911. The call to 911 was interrupted, prompting police to respond to the scene, before calling for fire crews.

The homeowner has been hospitalized with minor burns. Officials believe she was the only person home at the time.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Click Below to set up your cable box

No Neighbor Hungry Campaign

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak
REIMAGINING NY_CORP_FSG