Whether you’re ready for it or not, there’s snow on the way. Be ready to hit the roads safely with these winter weather car hacks. Preparation is key.
First, cover the basics:
- Check to make sure your tires are up to the task and not too worn
- Check your battery
- Check your antifreeze level
Some key items you should have in the trunk of your car through the winter:
- Jumper Cables
- Road Salt
- Emergency Flares
- Spare pair of socks
Then try these hacks:
- Windows constantly fogging up? Coat the inside of your windshield with shaving cream and wipe them down. The cream has the same active ingredients as traditional defoggers.
- Keep the snow from piling up and icing over your windshield by laying an old rug across if after you park.
- Keep your car doors from freezing and sticking by spraying the outside edges of the doors with cooking spray
- A quality ice scraper is a must in the Northeast, but in a pinch a credit card will do the trick
- Park your car facing east so the rising sun helps melt some of the snow and ice on your windshield
- Keep Kitty Litter on hand. Kitty litter can give you good traction on snow and ice. If your car has trouble getting out spread some down in areas where your tires are stuck and it’ll help you get out.
- Use non stick cooking spray on your shovel before you start digging out. The snow will slide right off.