WATERVLIET, N.Y. (NEWS10) — According to the Watervliet Police Department, there has been a rise in thefts of belongings left in cars. There are also more vehicle thefts involving cars being left running unattended. Thieves get into the car due to doors being left unlocked or open windows.
To avoid thefts and to protect your car and belongings, police suggest following these tips:
- Do not leave your car unlocked
- Do not leave spare keys or a key fob inside your vehicle
- Do not leave your windows open
- Park in a well-lit area if possible
- Do not leave the title or important documents inside
- Store valuables out of sight
- Never leave your car running unattended
If you witness suspicious activity, contact the Watervliet Police Department immediately at (518) 270-3833 or dial 9-1-1.