ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — With the 2021 hunting season underway, one thing remains constant for all those looking to head out into the woods this year: safety comes first.
Whether you are a seasoned veteran or venturing out for your first time, experts say proper preparation and planning can go a long way in keeping you and other hunters safe.
Wearing a solid color orange or pink garment, always carrying a flashlight and cell phone, and checking all your equipment is in proper condition before use is a good way to ensure your trip goes as planned.
“There’s a lot of folks that put trust into a manufactured item that will wear out in the elements,” Jim Despart, owner of Bullseye Jim’s Archery, said. “What we do is teach them a system using a lifeline, which will allow them to attach to their lanyard which is on the back of their safety harness which ascends with them as they climb and will come back down with them as they descend the tree.”
More from NEWS10:
- Massachusetts COVID-19 Weekend Report: 20 new deaths, 3,173 new cases
- More than $1.5M awarded for projects to protect communities along Hudson River
- At Vermont statehouse, a renewed call for mask mandate, state of emergency
- Trump Jr. sells shirts mocking fatal Baldwin shooting
- Whole flower cannabis launches at Rochester dispensary for NY medical marijuana community