The New York State Office of General Services is collecting worn and tattered American flags at locations across the state so they can be properly retired.
The collected flags will be disposed of as part of the Memorial Watchfire hosted by the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 103, on Sunday, May 27th, 2018 at the New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY.
“American flags should be retired with respect and honor and this collection program provides New Yorkers with a simple way to accomplish this,” Governor Andrew Cuomo said. “The Watchfire offers a valuable community service and brings people together to observe the Memorial Day holiday.”
All flags collected will be properly folded prior to disposal.
The drop-off locations will be collecting donations from Tuesday, May 8 through Wednesday, May 23. Here are the locations in the Capital Region:
- Alfred E. Smith Building, 80 South Swan St., Albany
- New York State Capitol, Washington Avenue, Albany
- Empire State Plaza Main Concourse, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Agency Buildings 1,2,3,4 – Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Legislative Office Building Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Swan Street Building, Core 2 and Core 3, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Harriman Campus Buildings 5, 6, 7, 7A, 8, 12 Harriman Campus, 1220 Washington Ave., Albany
- Ten Eyck Building, 40 North Pearl St., Albany
- 50 Wolf Road, Albany
- 625 Broadway, Albany
- Hampton Plaza, 38-40 State St., Albany
- 44 Holland Ave., Albany