LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — It’s not every day you fight your own fire. But that’s exactly what students at Siena College did when a fire broke out in a townhouse kitchen Tuesday afternoon.

Deputy Chief Dominick DiBenedetto said the Shaker Road-Loudonville Fire Department was dispatched to the fire. But they found that the quick-thinking students had already knocked it down before they arrived with a fire extinguisher they had on hand.

“The students brought groceries in and hit the stovetop, turning the burner on without realizing it,” DiBenedetto said. “They left the paper bags on top of the stove and the contents caught fire  and it spread a little bit to the microwave above it and the students were able to contain it.” 

It’s something the fire department doesn’t see often and DiBenedetto said safety should come first when there’s a fire of any kind, including how to use different safety equipment.

“Fire extinguishers have a method called the pass method, which—you pull the pin, aim it at the base of the fire, squeeze it, and aim back and forth—which allows it to cover over the entire fire,” DiBenedetto said. “So it doesn’t get any oxygen.”

The fire could have been much worse if the students didn’t take matters into their own hands. ”Fire doubles in size every 30 seconds,” DiBenedetto said. “Another two minutes and that could have been a fully involved kitchen fire.”

A spokesperson for Siena College said that the kitchen will be repaired as soon as possible as the students look forward to the new semester.