*This story has been updated with new information released on July 22
COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10 ABC) — Two men were killed and three others are in the hospital Friday morning after a serious crash on Central Avenue.
The crash happened at 12:06 a.m. in the area of 2169 Central Avenue and Lombard Street. Central Avenue was closed in both directions between Lisha Kill Road and Lansing Road North for some time in the morning but was reopened at 7 a.m.
Police released the names of the two men who died on scene as a result of the crash. The driver Naquain Key, 25, and passenger Najee Parks, 31, both from Queens, died after three females in a Volkswagen struck their Nissan as it was exiting a business near Lombard Street.
The three females in the Volkswagen were transported to the hospital with severe injuries. An update on July 22 from Colonie police say the driver, Shanjaine Foskey-Gause, 20, of Cohoes has been released from the hospital. The 20-year-old passengers—Jamilla Bottle of Rensselaer and Keianna Clinton of Colonie—are still receiving treatment.
According to Lieutenant Robert Donnelly from Colonie Police, speed was a factor in the crash.
Police are investigating the incident. Anyone who may have witnessed the crash or has video footage or other information to contact the Traffic Division at (518) 783-2744.
- 1 million lives lost: World marks painful COVID-19 milestone
- ‘Absurd’: $1B earmarked for PPE spent on body armor, jet parts
- Investigation reveals how Trump campaign used Facebook to deter voters in 2016 campaign
- Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier: “It’s better for our team when we have balance”
- The Grand at Barnwell to pay $22,000 in fines after DOH cites COVID-19 health and safety violations