Due to thunderstorms the Street Scrubbing will be held inside City Hall.
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 71 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan’s Tulip Festival opening proclamation and a procession from City Hall.
Amy Heebner will perform a special musical program on Albany City Hall’s historic 49-bell carillon to begin the event at 11:30 a.m.
Immediately following the street scrubbing, Mistress of Ceremonies, Lydia Kulbida of News 10 hosts the Albany Tulip Festival Luncheon at 90 State.
This long-standing Tulip Festival weekend tradition offers a farewell and thank you to 2018 Albany Tulip Queen Sawyer Cresap and her Court.
Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit Tulip Queen and Court literacy programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region. Tickets are required and a few are still available for purchase at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-tulip-festival-luncheon-tickets-59382209788
The 71st Annual Albany Tulip Festival presented by Citizens Bank will be held May 11 & 12 in Washington Park. For more festival information call 518.434.2032, visitwww.albanyevents.org, or follow albanyNYevents on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Albany Police Department announced the following road closures and parking restrictions for Tulip Festival.
Washington Park Restrictions:
- Parking Restrictions: Friday from 6 a.m. through Sunday:
- Washington Park Road, east side from Hudson Avenue north 6 spaces
- Washington Park Road, both sides from New Scotland Avenue to Lake Avenue
- Road Closures: Friday from 6 a.m. through Sunday:
- Washington Park Road, from New Scotland Avenue to Lake Avenue
Tulip Fest Road Closures
- Saturday 12:01 a.m. until Sunday at 8 p.m., Washington Park, ALL ROADS, will be closed to all traffic
- Additionally, the following roadways will be closed to all but local (resident and emergency vehicles) traffic Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m – 6 p.m. each day:
- Lancaster Street between Lark Street and Willett Street
- Hudson Avenue between Lark Street and Willett Street
- Willett Street between Madison Avenue and State Street
- Henry Johnson between Western and State Street
- State Street between Robin and Lark Street
- Saturday and Sunday, 6 a.m. -6 p.m. each day, the following roadway will be closed to all traffic:
- Englewood Place between Western Avenue and the south dead end.
Tulip Fest Parking Restrictions:
- Saturday at 12:01 a.m. until Sunday at 8 p.m.:
- Washington Park – ALL ROADWAYS including Henry Johnson Boulevard
- Saturday and Sunday 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. each day:
- Englewood Place, both sides from Western Avenue to the south dead end
- Thurlow Terrace, both sides form Western Avenue to the south dead end
- Saturday at 6 a.m. until Sunday at 8 p.m.:
- Madison Avenue, north side from the bus stop east of New Scotland Avenue east 12 spaces
- State Street, south side 4 spaces west of Henry Johnson Boulevard
- S. Pearl Street, west side 2 spaces south of State Street
- Madison Avenue, north side 2 spaces west of Grand Street
- Elk Street, both sides 3 spaces west of Eagle Street
- Elk Street, north side 3 spaces west Hawk Street
Parking in the vicinity of Washington Park is limited. Please consider using alternate parking facilities that have been set up for t his event.
A CDTA shuttle bus will be running from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. The bus will make a loop to the following stops where parking is available:
- State Street at Henry Johnson Boulevard. The bus will stop on the southwest corner on State St.
- S. Pearl Street at State Street. The bus will stop on the southwest corner on S. Pearl Street
- Madison Avenue & Eagle Street. The bus will stop on the northeast corner on Madison Avenue
- Elk Street at Eagle Street. The bus will stop on Elk Street
- Elk Street at N. Hawk Street. The bus will stop on Elk Street
Parking is available for residents where parking is affected by the event.
The following parking areas are available on the above mentioned shuttle stop locations:
- East Parking Garage located at the corner of Madison Avenue and Eagle Street. Parking is available starting Friday after 4 p.m. until Monday at 6 a.m.
- Cathedral & Museum Visitor Lot located in the rear of the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception on Madison Avenue west of Eagle Street. Parking is available on Saturday and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily
- Elk Street State parking areas.
- There are several surface parking areas operated by NYSOGS that are available in this area starting Friday after 4 p.m. until Monday at 6 a.m.
- All vehicles parked in these areas must be removed by Monday at 6 a.m.