Town and school leaders have planned a full day of events Tuesday to welcome home local American Idol finalist Madison VanDenburg, including a pep rally at Shaker High School, a parade, and a free concert open to the public at the Crossings of Colonie. The exciting day will also bring a number of road closures and parking restrictions. Here’s what you need to know.
The day will begin with a pep rally at Shaker High School at 1:30 p.m. The pep rally is open only to high school students and is NOT open to the public.
The celebrations will continue with a parade beginning at Metro Park Road into the Crossings of Colonie where Madison will then perform a free concert, open to the community! The parade will begin at 4:15 pm. No backpacks
GETTING TO THE CROSSINGS
The Crossings will be closed to traffic starting at Noon on Tuesday. No parking will be allowed inside the park. Instead, The CDTA is providing free shuttle buses to the public from the Shaker Hish School parking lot to the Crossings of Colonie from 2:30 – 4:00 pm. Buses will again be available to transport concertgoers back to the school parking lot after the program.
Shuttles will also be available from the following locations beginning at 3:00 p.m.:
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service from the north lot of Macy’s at Colonie Center. This is the lot located across from Staybridge Suites. This shuttle is handicap accessible.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service from Sand Creek School on Sand Creek Road. This shuttle is handicap accessible.
- Parking will be available with Shuttle Service at Shaker Road Fire Station on Albany-Shaker Rd. Please note, this shuttle is not handicap accessible.
Designated Parking (without shuttle service):
- Beltrone Event Parking Lot (lot before the Beltrone Center)
- Ciccotti Family Recreation Center
- The Crossings at Colonie entrance on Albany-Shaker Road will be closed to all vehicles beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14 until Wednesday, May 15.
- The intersection of Metro Park Road and Aviation Rd will be closed for approximately a halfhour between 4:00 and 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14 for the parade