NORTH GREENBUSH, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The North Greenbush Police Department is investigating a new scam that is taking advantage of the coronavirus pandemic.
Police said a resident contacted the New York State Department of Health after coming down with flu-like symptoms. She then received a call from someone claiming to be with the DOH and told her to go to a mobile test site at the Twin Town Little League parking lot on Williams Road.
The site appeared to be legitimate, and the woman received a call her test was positive a few days later.
However, the Rensselaer County Department of Health said the only mobile testing sites are at local hospitals.
Police said the scammers were able to get money and insurance information from each person.
An arrest was made on Friday. Police said Christine Curley, 29, made up the story. She was charged with Falsely Reporting an Incident and Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument. She is due in court at a later date.
The reason behind why she made the false report is not being released by police.
- 2 Berkshire County communities receive Municipal Cybersecurity Awareness grants
- STRIDE raises $44,000 for disabled athletes at 100K skiing event
- Pomeroy Fund opens new grant round to support NYS history organizations with financial relief
- Smart Schools Review Board approves $59.9M for technology upgrades
- 02/25/2021: Breezy and not as warm today