Police make arrest in 2015 Troy homicide case


TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – D’Andre Jones, 19, formerly of Troy, was arraigned on Tuesday in Rensselaer County Court on charges of Murder and Manslaughter in connection with the 2015 shooting death of 19-year old Ahziarh Carter.

Jones was set to be released from Franklin Correctional Facility on Monday, April 22, 2019 after serving three and a half years for weapons charges related to this same case.

Before he had the opportunity to walk out a free man, detectives from the Troy Police Department showed up with an indictment warrant and took him into custody. The indictment unsealed Tuesday morning in Judge McGrath’s courtroom: one count of murder in the second degree, one count of Manslaughter in the first degree.

Carter was just 19 years old when he was shot and killed at the corner of Hutton St. and Earl St. just after midnight on August 18th, 2015.

According to Troy’s Deputy Chief of Police, Dan DeWolf, officers were patrolling in the area when they heard the gunshots ring out, immediately rushing to the scene. When officers showed up, a vehicle took off and a chase ensued.

“That was a dangerous time. This guy just gets shot and those officers immediately gave chase, got that vehicle and got those guys out of there,” said Deputy Chief DeWolf.

He said all four people in the vehicle were taken into custody on weapons charges.

Jones, 16, of Troy; Malcolm Reid, 23, of Troy; and Stephon Johnson, 21, also of Troy. Another was released to his parents because of his age. According to the Rensselaer County District Attorney’s Office, Johnson and Jones both took plea deals. Reid’s charges were dismissed.

None of the suspects, however, were ever charged with Carter’s murder.

“For whatever reason, they didn’t go to Grand Jury with the homicide case for Carter at that time, under that District Attorney [Joel Abelove]. In the meantime, they continued investigating and investigating to put together the best case possible and they re-opened the case and brought it before a Grand Jury and they came back with an indictment for the murder,” said Deputy Chief DeWolf.

According to the Rensselaer County District Attorney’s Office, since Mary Pat Donnelly has assumed the position of DA, she has regularly met with police chiefs from around the county to enhance communication. That communication has been a two-way street. A number of cases have been brought back to the DA’s office for a second look. This being one of them.

Deputy Chief DeWolf tells News10 he was very disappointed when charges were not brought originally. “But that’s water under the bridge now. Today is a new day and we’re glad we were able to make this arrest and we’ll go from here. We’ll continue to fight the good fight and do whatever we have to do to assist in the prosecution of this case and hopefully, he’s found guilty,” said Deputy Chief DeWolf.

He also says that his officers and detectives performed admirably that night and never gave up on this, nearly four-year-long, investigation. “I’m very proud. Chief Owens is very proud of these guys and the good, hard work they do every day. So this is a win for us,” he said.

Jones is being held in the Rensselaer County Jail without bail.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Set NEWS10.com as your Homepage!


Click Below to set up your cable box

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak

Classroom Progress Report

More Classroom Progress Report