A 13-month-old baby was hospitalized after Albany Police say she ate a small bag of heroin after her mother passed out while doing the drug.
Police say 25-year-old Carli Donovan woke up and realized what happened, so she brought her daughter to St. Peter’s Hospital.
The baby was treated with Narcan and then transferred to Albany Medical Center, where she remains in stable condition.
The incident stirs emotions for Tim Murdock, whose son, Sean, died of a heroin overdose at just 22 back in 2015.
In the years since his death, Tim has heard countless stories similar to his son’s.
“Hopefully people understand how egregious this disease of addiction is,” Tim said.
Dr. James Saperstone of Guilderland Pediatrics said this incident could have been much worse because the smallest amount of heroin can kill a baby.
“Within five or 10 minutes it can start to depress the breathing,” Dr. Saperstone said.
What’s more concerning was the access she had to the drug.
“Kids explore and when they find bags of things and they find powders of things, they put it right to their mouth,” Dr. Saperstone said.
However, that’s what addiction does – it causes you to lose all your senses.
While it’s too late for Sean, it’s not for others.
“We really want to hammer it home with young people that one choice there could change your whole life,” Tim said.
Donovan is charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.
She remains at the Albany County Jail.